[Mac OS X TeX] Re: cm-super

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Fri Nov 30 10:32:34 EST 2001

Le vendredi 30 novembre 2001, à 03:23 PM, Alexandre Enkerli a écrit :

>> OK, I finally managed to install these (though departing slightly from
>> the instructions in the INSTALL file).
> De quelle façon?

Compared to the steps described in the INSTALL file:

  1. Unchanged:
Create a directory ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cm-super/ and put
all pfb/*.pfb files there.

2. Unnecessary.

3. Changed:
Create a directory ~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/ and put all dvips/*.map
and dvips/*.enc files there.

4. Changed:

a) Copy config.ps from /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/ to
~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/ and add the lines:

p +cm-super-t1.map
p +cm-super-ts1.map
p +cm-super-t2a.map
p +cm-super-t2b.map
p +cm-super-t2c.map
p +cm-super-x2.map

b) Create a directory ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/, copy pdftex.cfg
>from /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/pdftex/config/ there and add the lines:

map +cm-super-t1.map
map +cm-super-ts1.map
map +cm-super-t2a.map
map +cm-super-t2b.map
map +cm-super-t2c.map
map +cm-super-x2.map

5. Seems unnecessary (but apparently harmless).

Some remarks:

- I did not manage to run updmap, that's why I modified config.ps and
pdftex.cfg by hand, but the procedure is far from optimal since the
modifications must be reiterated for every new release of teTeX in case
these files were changed in the release.

- I did not manage, either, to have config.ps and pdftex.cfg refer to
*.map files located in another directory cm-super, as they should be,
that's why I put those files in the same directory as config.ps. (I must
confess I did not bother learning the proper syntax for the files
config.ps and pdftex.cfg, after the obvious p +../cm-super/cm-super-
t1.map etc. turned out not to work.)

- I also downloaded all *.tfm files from the EC directory on CTAN, and
put them in new directories ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/jknappen/ec/ and
~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/jknappen/tc/. However that's unnnecessary now,
since Gerben has released a TeXShop generating *.tfm files automatically
(and *.mf, and *.600pk) in the hidden /var/tmp/texfonts/ directory.
After the release I even uninstalled cm-super and attempted using the
original ec fonts only, but the result with them (PK fonts) was so ugly
on my screen that I reinstalled cm-super quickly. I hadn't realised I
had got so much used to PS fonts.

Hope this works for you too,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.