[Mac OS X TeX] OpenType

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 05:35:30 EST 2001

> > type1_default=true
> >
> > in the texmf/dvips/config/updmap script and then run this script.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	This file is quite irrelevant to  pdfTeX !

> > Actually I don't understand why this isn't the default in tetex.
>
> The funny thing is that my version of the file also defines type1_default to
> be false, but if I run pdflatex at the command line I get a .pdf file that
> (according to Acrobat Reader) contains only Type 1 fonts.

It isn't the default in teTeX, since there's no need for it to be.

When PDFs are required, it's usual to use   dvips -Ppdf ....
or something similar, to ensure that  .pfb  fonts are included.

So it's only relevant to use of  dvips  not intended for PDF.
Presumably there *are* still systems around for which its more
convenient to use bitmaps; e.g. Type 1 versions of the EC fonts are
still in their infancy; isn't that right ?

So my guess is that it's probably still too soon to commit the dvips
default to assume Type 1 will be always available.

Just my 2c.

	Ross Moore

> --
> Larry Paulson

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.