[Mac OS X TeX] Setting A4 as default paper size

J. Stark j.stark at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 22 05:23:50 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Rather than editing the actual file, it is probably easier to just
copy the analogous resource from en_GB.lproj or en_AU.lproj. In
principle the system ought to take the default page size from these
when the language is set to British or Australian English, but this
seems to be broken. Copying the appropriate Localizable.strings to
English.lproj gives the required behaviour:

sudo cp
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/en_GB.lproj/Localizable.strings
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

>I found the followign  fix for setting A4 as default paper size on
>MacFixit.  This
>worked for me -- at least for the last couple of days.
>
>As it involves fiddling with a system file you do it at your own
>risk !!  I don't have sufficient expertise to assure you that it
>will not do any harm.
>
>Note that it is case sensitive. I entered iso-A4 and it didn't work.
>
>>http://www.macfixit.com/archivesx/october.01.a.x.shtml
>>

>>Non-US default paper size: another work-around
>>
>>Regarding our previous item on changing the default paper size,
>>Martin Ler offers another solution:
>>

>>"Rather than working with the PaperInfo.xml file, open the
>>ApplicationServices.framework in System/Library/Frameworks and
>>navigate down to
>>Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings.
>>In this file locate 'DefaultPaperSize = na-letter'.
>>
>>There you should place the name of your preferred default page
>>size. The right names you will find in the PaperInfo.xml file up in
>>the Resources directory. For example: na-letter is name for
>>US-Letter and iso-a4 is for A4 paper size."
>>

>>Caveat: You will need to be a root user to edit this; and changing
>>System files is always a risk.
>

>Michael
>
>--
>Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
>Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303 3696
>University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
>Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
>Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
>PGP public key:
>http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt
>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.