[Mac OS X TeX] embedding fonts

Tom Kiffe tom at kiffe.com
Tue Oct 2 21:09:22 EDT 2001

Pdftex and dvips only embed the fonts you tell them to embed. Dvips reads
texmf/dvips/config/config.ps and pdftex reads texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg.
These files tell the respective programs which map files to read. The .map
files map TeX font names (tfm names) to Postscript names and they tell
dvips and pdftex which fonts to embed. Of course, you need to have the
actual Postscript fonts installed on your system.

--Tom

>On 10/02/2001 at 1:05 PM -0700, V. Vatsal wrote:
>
>>I'm having trouble embedding fonts into PDF files with ps2pdf from the command line. It seems that the fonts are not being embedded at all, and the PDF looks awful in Reader or Preview. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ps file, as I can generate perfectly good PDF with embedded fonts by running Distiller in Classic.
>>
>>Is there any way to force ps2pdf to embed all fonts? Or is this not supported in the version of gs that comes with the teTeX bundled with TeXShop?
>
>This brings up a question that I have had for some time. When TeXShop calls teTeX using pdflatex, how do we know what fonts pdflatex is embedding in the PDF file? There is no setting in TeXShop for this, so I don't really know what is happening. I suppose this is related to the question quoted above, that is, I assume that the TeX + Ghostscript option in TeXShop is calling ps2pdf at some point, so how do we know what fonts ps2pdf is embedding.
>
>Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>--
>  Gary

>"help" (no quotes) in the body.
>This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.