[Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?

Fredrik Wallenberg fwallenberg at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 17:49:30 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Yes, OS X does provide a new user experience and will seem foreign to
long term mac users (such as myself). However, give it a few weeks and
then tell me what you think. Personally I am extatic about OS X hate to
have to go back into OS 9 (I only need to do that for one application
that I user VERY infrequently) or use Classic (happens a bit more often
and works just fine... the interface is just so cluttered). I love the
clean interface provided by OS X / Aqua and do feel a lot more
productive with the dock than I was with the various different tools
provided in OS 9.

That said, OS X is SLOOOW. I'm running on a fast machine (G4 533) with
lots of ram (512) so it doesn't really concern me. However I also have
OS X on my PB G3 with 192mb ram and I do feel the sluggishness there.
The performance of OS X (assuming you have enough ram) is said to go up
significantly with 10.1 scheduled to be released later this month. If
you feel that performance is an issue, I would wait until you can try
out 10.1 before I made the switch.

Will OS X kill Apple? No, I'm convinced it is the start of something
bigger and better than we've had before!

Fredrik

On Thursday, September 6, 2001, at 01:43 PM, Hemant K. Bhargava wrote:

> However, inspite of the limited customization one can make (or at least
> that's what I know so far) the end result is quite inelegant, slow, and
> non-intuitive. I had a wonderful way to organize/customize and use my
> machine, and now I find myself reduced from an expert to a novice.
>
> Lastly, but most importantly, OS X appears to make everything VERY
> SLOW. E.g., resizing a Window has a long time lag in OS X windows; but
> is instantaneous in OS 9, even when I'm in classic mode. Similarly
> applications take forever to open.
>
> Bottomline: am I missing something here, or is this a common experience?

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.