[Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?

Hemant K. Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 16:43:04 EDT 2001

<x-flowed>Hi -

I apologize for sending a generic OS X message to this group, but rest
assured I'm a devout TeX and Mac user and my motivation is at least in part
related to (my dilemma of whether to switch to) OSX-TeX. I'm presently very
happy with my OS9-Alpha-OzTeX combination, and am
wondering if cMacTeX on OSX is far superior, so much better that it would
overcome the negatives discussed below.

(Assumption here: cMacTeX is the only TeX available on OS X. correct?)

I installed OS X on my iMac yesterday -- my spare machine, and am I glad I
started there! From what I can tell so far, it's a nightmare. I'm very
concerned, based on this, about what will happen to Apple. Will Apple users
jump ship, with the result that Apple might face dangers of closing down,
eventually? I hope not!

Specifically, I found OS X to be very slow, inelegant, and clumsy - and too
gimmicky ... all things that remind one of Windows. I know at least some of
these things  are customizable and can be fixed. E.g., I removed the
"animated items in dock" feature, change the multi-colored window buttons
to a sober graphite, and ensured that a double-click on a folder would open
in a new window (vs in the same window, as in Windows Explorer).

However, inspite of the limited customization one can make (or at least
that's what I know so far) the end result is quite inelegant, slow, and
non-intuitive. I had a wonderful way to organize/customize and use my
machine, and now I find myself reduced from an expert to a novice.

Lastly, but most importantly, OS X appears to make everything VERY SLOW.
E.g., resizing a Window has a long time lag in OS X windows; but is
instantaneous in OS 9, even when I'm in classic mode. Similarly
applications take forever to open.

Bottomline: am I missing something here, or is this a common experience?

Thanks.

- Hemant

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.