[OS X TeX] updating to 10.2

Thomas Schröder thomas at t-schroeder.de
Fri Aug 30 15:55:58 EDT 2002

Hi,

> - After the installation of Jaguar, folders and files which had
> English names in 10.1 have inherited French names in 10.2 (I use the
> French version of OS X). Actually it's not exactly that: for example,
> the Library folder is still named "Library" and Preview.app is still
> named "Preview.app" internally, as shown by Terminal.app, but the
> Finder displays them as "Bibliothèque" and "Aperçu", respectively,
> which are the proper French words.

Nice, isn't it? This was one of the reasons I had been looking forward
to 10.2 :-)

> It is all very good, except for one thing: this is not true of all
> users accounts created before installation of 10.2, where all folder
> (Library, Music, Pictures, Movies, etc.) are still displayed with
> their English names (instead of Bibliothèque, Musique, Images,
> Séquences, etc. for newly created accounts).

This is obviously a bug in the Finder. To avoid it, just uncheck
"Always Show Suffix" (or whatever it's called in the English Finder, I
use the German one :-) in the Finder preferences, and voilà, all the
nice translations are active again :-)

I already filed this bug with Apple's feedback site, but of course
everybody's welcome to do so again.

      Ciao, Thomas

Thomas Schröder +++ thomas at t-schroeder.de