[OS X TeX] Howto install .pfb fonts on Mac OS X? -- SOLVED

Otto Poellath lists at poellath.org
Thu Aug 8 13:33:11 EDT 2002

Thanks, pfaedit did the trick.

Just for the record, I downloaded and installed the pfaedit and
freetype2 (required by pfaedit) i-Packages and used pfaedit in
interactive mode to convert the font:

$ pfaedit
Copyright © 2000-2002 by George Williams.
Executable based on sources from 22:37 16-5-2002.
Open("/path/to/my/font.pfb")
Generate("/path/to/my/font.otf")

This generated an OpenType version of my font, which loads fine in Mac
OS X applications.

Thanks all,
-Otto.

p.s.: I used this on a non-commerical font, so licensing wasn't an issue.

> Download the pfaedit i-Package that Gerben has put together (don't
> remember the url), and install it.  Then use a simple script something
> like:
>
> open ("font.pfb")
> generate ("font.otf")
>
> I think to call the script you use pfaedit -script scriptfile.
>
> I don't remember if my syntax is correct, but the idea is to use
> pfaedit to convert the font to OpenType, which will work with OS X.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Thursday, Aug 08, 2002, at 07:21AM, Otto Poellath
> <lists at poellath.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm sorry if this is actually unrelated to TeX and LaTeX, but since
>> there's quite a couple of font experts on this list, I couldn't resist
>> to ask..
>>
>> I received a font in .pfb and .pfm format, and need to get it to work
>> with Mac OS X applications like Photoshop, but not TeX or LaTeX.
>> Since simply dropping them in ~/Library/Fonts didn't make them
>> available,  I searched the web and found the t1utils package on Marc
>> Liyanage's site (www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/). The manpage for the
>> included t1mac states that
>>
>> t1mac reads a PFA (hexadecimal) or PFB (binary) PostScript Type 1 font
>> file and  generates  an  equivalent  Macintosh Type  1 font file
>>
>> but
>>
>> WARNING:  The output of t1mac is not sufficient to use the font, since
>> Macintoshes can't read raw Type 1  fonts.  You will  need  to  create
>> a  font suitcase containing bitmap fonts if you do not have such  a
>> suitcase  for  the  font already.  t1mac cannot help you do this.
>>
>> So right now I'm stuck, since I have no idea how to create a font
>> suitcase. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> TIA,
>> -Otto.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.