[OS X TeX] Howto install .pfb fonts on Mac OS X?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Aug 8 12:06:32 EDT 2002

Le jeudi 8 août 2002, à 04:21 , Otto Poellath a écrit :

> [snip]
>
> I received a font in .pfb and .pfm format, and need to get it to work
> with Mac OS X applications like Photoshop, but not TeX or LaTeX.
> Since simply dropping them in ~/Library/Fonts didn't make them
> available,  I searched the web and found the t1utils package on Marc
> Liyanage's site (www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/). The manpage for the
> included t1mac states that
>
> t1mac reads a PFA (hexadecimal) or PFB (binary) PostScript Type 1 font
> file and  generates  an  equivalent  Macintosh Type  1 font file
>
> but
>
> WARNING:  The output of t1mac is not sufficient to use the font, since
> Macintoshes can't read raw Type 1  fonts.  You will  need  to  create
> a  font suitcase containing bitmap fonts if you do not have such  a
> suitcase  for  the  font already.  t1mac cannot help you do this.
>
> [snip]

I think this tool is the same as the t1utils binary program (with a GUI)
which is part of CMacTeX at <http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html>. It's
designed to make fonts in Mac OS 9 format.

I think, as Bruce d'Arcus, that what you need is pfaedit, to make fonts
in OS X .dfont format. I don't use pfaedit, but according to its web
site it does wonderful things, see <http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net>. It
was compiled by Gerben Wierda at <http://www.rna.nl/ii.html>.

By the way, I looked at Marc Liyanage's web site, which contains Mac OS
X compilations of bzip2 and ImageMagick. It's a pity there's some
duplication of work with Gerben's work.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.