[OS X TeX] Omega

Michael Betsch Michael.Betsch at uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Aug 21 14:10:16 EDT 2002

>I have been endeavouring to install Omega in order to use its
>Unicode facility. My success to date has been limited.

>If anyone has any experience of installing and using Omega
>successfully, I would be very happy to hear from you.
>
>Malcolm Ross

omega and related programs are included in G. Wierda's distribution,
which is used by TeXShop and iTeXMac. So if you installed this
distribution, you should have them present (try "which omega", "which
lambda", "which odvips" from the Terminal). But at my impression
there is no way to directly generate pdf; you will have to process
your source with omega (resp. lambda), then convert the dvi file to
PostScript with odvips (not dvips!) and then convert this to pdf with
ps2pdf. I tried some rather basic source files and found it works.
Basically, you may try to start with a LaTeX file that doesn't call
inputenc or fontenc, and define the omega roman font as standard
roman font in the preamble:

\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{omlgc}

Then you can call all characters oher than those contained in 7-bit
ASCII by their hexidecimal unicode number prefixed with "^^^^", e.g.
"^^^^015b" for the Polish letter "small s with acute accent".

As I understand it, the resulting dvi file cannot be processed by
standard DVI viewers (nor by dvips), only converted by odvips. You
will have to call the programs from the terminal.

I fear several more "exotic" languages and writing systems will still
be work in progress, cf. the talk by omega's creators Plaice and
Haralambous on TUG2002 about devanagari support.

Michael Betsch

Michael.Betsch at uni-tuebingen.de

"help" (no quotes) in the body.