[Mac OS X TeX] Re: can i make references invisible?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 00:22:47 EST 2002

> >> Thanks to all who responded - great group.
> >> 1. pdfpages.sty is a winner. i got an error msg that i had to use pdflatex
> >> when i hit 'latex' on the 'dummy' file.tex in texshop so i ran pdflatex
> >> from the cli. no problem but i wonder why - i have pdflatex as default
> >> latex in texshop preferences.
> >

> >> the pdfpages method doesn't lead to a dvi file. is there any way to do this
> >> and get a dvi? a friend of mine told me he edited the dvi - is tht
> >> possible?
> >
> >pdfpages only works with pdfTeX (or rather, pdflatex).
> >This is because it uses a feature of the  \includegraphics  command
> >that is *only* implemented in pdfTeX:
> >
> >  \includegraphics[page=<num>]{<filename>}

> >So far as I'm aware, the  page=...  option for \includegraphics
> >is not implemented in any other TeX installation.
> >
> >(There's a challenge for Barry Smith, Thomas Kiffe and Andrew Trevorrow !)
> >

> This option is supported in any pdftex program. Since CMacTeX has included pdftex since verion 0.12h of pdftex, it does support this option. CMacTeX users have been able to run pdftex in Mac OS 8 and 9 for years now.

The request was for a .dvi file, so what I meant was to do it directly in .dvi,
pulling chunks from another document directly into the .dvi of the document being built.

dviselect, and the earlier dvipaste, can pull in chunks of .dvi
in a separate post-processing run.
It's not quite the same thing, though leads to a similar result.

Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.