[Mac OS X TeX] Excalibur and TeXShop '.tex' files

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 14 19:36:46 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 07:31:11PM -0500, Rick Zaccone wrote:
> Apple's policy on file types vs. extensions still isn't clear to me.
> Will they be abandoning file types entirely?

For the future, I think that is the idea, but obviously people within
Apple are not of one mind about this, any more than others are. :)

> Here's how I think I will change it.  Excalibur will open a file if
> it is type 'TEXT' or if the file extension is .tex, ltx, or .txt.
> Does that seem right?  Should I be checking for other extensions?

That makes sense to me as a default, however it would be useful to let
Excalibur open any file if you drag the file onto it while holding
down command-option, and have an option in the Open dialog box to
choose "All Files", as several other applications do.  (Doesn't Nav
Services have a 'type' popup menu that it can automatically add?)

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.