[Mac OS X TeX] What is the function of the "Tags" menu?

Hemant K. Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Sun Jan 13 15:59:09 EST 2002

I am a little confused here ...

I enjoy the Tag feature very much (aka "marks" in Alpha, and "parse" in
Pepper). I use it to get a quick overview of a large document, as well as
to facilitate jumps to specific points in the document. So,

Why force people to write %:blah *in addition to* \section{blah} etc.? I
would imagine that TeXShop could easily scan the document for \section (and
certain other entries) and automatically add them to the Tag menu. In
addition if users wanted to tag certain other items, then they could make
use of %:blah. This is especially useful if you often need to look at .tex
files created by others who might not make much use of %:blah (assuming,
even, that they used TeXShop).

(BTW, Alpha and Pepper do this automatic scanning, covering sections,
subsections (but not, e.g., theorems). So you can could pull in anyone's
.tex file, and get a quick overview of its organization. Alpha also allows
users to insert their own marks, in addition to the auto-generated ones.
Pepper?)

As usual, I'm very grateful to the designers of TeXShop for having created
this tool in the first place, so the above is not a gripe, just a
suggestion.

Thanks

- Hemant Bhargava

--On Sunday, January 13, 2002 2:21 PM -0500 "Gary L. Gray"
<gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:

> On 1/13/02 2:08 PM, "John Vokey" <vokey at uleth.ca> wrote:
>
>> Cool.  Is that in the help file somewhere and I just missed it?
>
> Yes, though it is easy to miss. Under the section entitled "Typesetting
> Documents:", there is a paragraph that states:
>
> If a line in the source begins with the characters "%:", TeXShop
> interprets the remaining word or words on the line as a "tag" and adds
> these words to the Tag pulldown menu. Choosing a tag entry in this menu
> will scroll to the appropriate line in the source file.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Gary L. Gray
> Associate Professor
> Address: Engineering Science and Mechanics
>          The Pennsylvania State University
>          212 Earth & Engineering Sciences Building
>          University Park, PA 16802-6812
>          USA
>   Phone: (814) 863-1778
>     Fax: (814) 863-7967
>  E-mail: <mailto:gray at engr.psu.edu>
>     Web: <http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/>
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.