[Mac OS X TeX] Euros in TeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Jan 3 17:57:33 EST 2002

Thanks to all of you for your enthusiastic response! Looks like the
least I can do now is report my experience of downloading and installing
the solutions pointed out to me. (I'm not mentioning here the EC/TC
version, which bears only a remote connection with the actual currency
symbol.)

Thanks especially to William Adams, his link

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?keyword=&question=161

is very useful.

First, there are the fonts, with two PostScript versions:

- Martin Vogel's symbol fonts <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/fonts/psfonts/marvosym/>
The euro symbol is included in roman, sans-serif and monospace shapes,
together with many other symbols (I'll never look at my washing machine
in the same way as before...). No italic or bold variant available.
Already included in TeXShop's teTeX, in PFB format. The distribution on
CTAN contains also fonts in Mac format (TrueType suitcase and LWFN
LaserWriter font, together with OzTeX support files), suitable for use
with OS 9 and Classic.

- Adobe euro fonts
<ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/mac/all/eurofont.sea.hqx>
Contains the euro symbol in roman, sans-serif and monospace shapes, with
bold and italic variants. The distribution on Adobe's ftp site contains
only fonts in Mac format (see above), suitable for use on OS 9 and
Classic; the eurofont package (see below) provides indications on how to
create OzTeX support files. The fonts in PFB format, suitable for use
with TeXShop, must be created using e.g. t1utils and the script lwfn2pfb
>from CMacTeX; you do this by opening the file "lwfn2pfb script txt"
(Script Editor is launched), saving it as an application and dragging
the LWFN font files (EuroMonBol etc.) onto this application. You must
also rename the resulting PFB and TFM files to zpeub.pfb etc. The PFB
files may already exist in the Windows version of the fonts, but since
this version is only available as a Windows executable, I haven't been
able to run it on my Mac.

And three MetaFont versions:

- Udo Heyl's china fonts <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/china2e/>
Contains one sans-serif version of the euro symbol, together with
Chinese calendar symbols. No bold, no italic.

- Henrik Theiling's eurosym fonts <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/fonts/eurosym/>
Contains bold, italic, slanted and outline versions of the sans-serif
euro symbol.

- Harold de Wijn's euro-ce fonts <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/fonts/euro-ce/>
Contains bold, italic, slanted, outline and condensed versions of the
sans-serif euro symbol. Also contains the EC symbol (is it European
Commission or European Community, I don't know).

But most important are the macros for using all those fonts:

- marvosym <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/marvosym/>
Provided with Martin Vogel's symbol fonts, defines macros for them.
LaTeX only. Already included with TeXShop's teTeX, just
\usepackage{marvosym}.

- euro <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/euro/>
Macros for using Adobe's euro fonts. There are one plain TeX example,
very straightforward, provided by Y&Y, and two LaTeX packages: europs,
which allows access to all roman, sans-serif and monospace versions of
the euro symbol, and eurosans, which imposes sans-serif (since this is
what the European Commission wants).

- eurofont <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/eurofont/>
Macros for using either Martin Vogel's symbol or Adobe's euro fonts, and
also for "faking" a euro symbol for any font from a capital C with two
lines across it. Seems very powerful, and able to do much more, but I
couldn't get myself to read the 60-pages documentation. LaTeX only.

- china2e <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-
archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/china2e/>
Support for Udo Heyl's china fonts. LaTeX only.

- eurosym <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/eurosym/>
Support for Henrik Theiling's eurosym fonts. Like eurofont, provides
tools for "faking" a euro symbol for any font from a capital C with two
lines across it. LaTeX only.

- euro-ce <ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/fonts/euro-ce/>
Support for Harold de Wijn's euro-ce fonts. Plain TeX primarily (the
provided LaTeX example uses \newfont which I thought was no longer
supported in LaTeX 2e).

Well, I hope this quick catalog may help.

As for me, since I like things plain whenever possible (I suppose I fell
in love with the elegance of plain TeX at first sight, and never quite
recovered), I'll probably use either Adobe's euro fonts and the euro
macros, if I go PostScript, or the euro-ce fonts and macros, if I go
MetaFont. And, plain TeX/LaTeX issues apart, these two font sets are the
nicest-looking ones IMHO.

Thanks again, bye for now,

Bruno Voisin