[Mac OS X TeX] PDF conversion (encore)

Vinayak Vatsal vatsal at math.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 30 06:18:57 EST 2002

Folks,

I'm having a hard time printing a .dvi file somebody sent me. I have tried
to make the conversion dvi --> pdf many different ways (command line,
TeXShop, MacDviX, MacGhostviewX) but none of them work. The best I have
managed is to get a file which displays okay in Reader, but doesn't print
properly -- some fonts (but not all) get substituted with Courier. The ones
that are left out are from the standard CM/AMS family.

I'm not sure what's up. As far as I can tell, some fonts are not getting
properly embedded. (Perhaps because the bsr fonts are incomplete?) The same
thing happens if I use dvips --> ps --> pdf on my own tex files. In this
situation, it seems that pdflatex works fine.

If anybody can help me diagnose this, I'd be very grateful. I understand
that pdf(la)tex is the preferred method for generating pdf, but sometimes
one gets dvi files from other people, and it would be nice to have the
other method working as well.

Thanks in advance.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.