[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop PDF Printing

Zachary Davis zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Wed Jan 30 13:55:43 EST 2002

Wednesday, 30 January 2002

William,

I tried printing my document using Acrobat Reader, as Alessandro
suggested, and for some reason that fixes my problems.  I do believe it
could possibly be Apple's Preview.app problem.  I am interested in
learning about Ghostscript, as I'm not certain what it is.  I haven't
had a use for it in the past.  Without wasting too much of your time, is
there somewhere you could direct me to look in order to learn more about
Ghostscript?

Thanks,

On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 12:40 PM, Alessandro Languasco wrote:

> Dear Martin,
>
> I have the same problem with my lectures written in Italian.
> My solution is to print the .pdf files with Acrobat reader.
> It works fine.
>
> I think it's not a TeXshop problem, but an Apple's OSX one.
>
> Regards,
> 	Alessandro
>
> On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 07:35 , Martin Stokhof wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Apologies if this has been discussed here before, but I ran into the
>> following problem (using TexShop 1.14 and the one but latest teTex
>> distribution).
>>
>> I had some plain text with diacritics (Umlauts on u, o, a). I used it
>> to produce slides, with documentclass "slides", and a document, with
>> documentclass "article". The pdf's of both looked fine on screen, yet
>> the printed output was different. The slides ouptut had several
>> misplaced characters, whereas in the document output everything was
>> fine. (Both were printed on the same laserprinter.) In the slides
>> output the character carrying the diacritic sometimes was printed over
>> the next character to the right, sometimes it was were it should be.
>> This happened with various characters with umlauts, in a seemingly
>> random way (some a-umlauts were ok, some were not; and the same for
>> the others). What puzzles me is how the same source in diferent LaTeX
>> documentclasses can produce output that looks the same on screen, yet
>> prints out differently.
>>
>> Has anybody any idea what is going on here?
>>
>> Martin
>> -- ILLC/Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Humanities, Universiteit
>> van Amsterdam
>> Nieuwe Doelenstraat 15, NL-1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>> phone: +31 20 5254540, fax:  +31 20 5254503
>> e-mail: stokhof at hum.uva.nl, www: http://turing.science.uva.nl/~stokhof/

>> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
>> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
>> messages posted by third parties.
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.

Zachary S. Davis
Department of Aerospace Engineering
University of Texas at Arlington
P.O. Box 19032
Arlington, TX 76019

Home:    (817) 272-6418            zsd3711 at gamma2.uta.edu
Office:    (817) 272-5269

          “Genius, that power that dazzles mortal eyes,
	  is oft but perseverance in disguise."

			--Henry Willard Austin
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.