[Mac OS X TeX] Re: The role of TeXShop

flip phillips flip at skidmore.edu
Fri Jan 18 11:25:29 EST 2002

As was pointed out, the 'spacebar' tradition dates back to the earliest
versions of 'more', i am fairly certain (at least back to my initial BDS
unix days in '82) that is its origin.
and more importantly, as many of you who use emacs probably already
know, Mac OS X text windows support emacs key bindings for navigation
out of the box (a NeXT legacy). You can control-N, P, etc in almost any
cocoa window and navigate (as I'm doing in this Mail window right
now...). Mathematica has these bindings built it and has for many
versions now. They aren't there out of necessity, but of convienence-
some of us have emacs navigation programmed in our spine at this point
(as I have vi latently hiding out there too).

I haven't used the arrow keys for editing since EDT (10 points to those
who can name that editor/os :) but don't mind having them. similarly,
those of you who have never touched emacs  aren't really effected by the
latent navigation in OS X windows either....

just $0.02 rambling

by the way the cmd-] and cmd-} stuff is a little backwards from the
editors i'm used to (alpha, code warriors IDE) for indenting and
commenting... :)

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.