[Mac OS X TeX] Re: The role of TeXShop

Tom Kiffe tom at kiffe.com
Fri Jan 18 10:46:32 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Norman Gray wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Lorenz Szabo wrote:
>
>> On 2002-01-17 10:16 AM, "Joachim Kock" <kock at math.unice.fr> wrote:
>>
>> > I think it
>> > works in all web browsers (and most likely comes from unix (more or less))
>>
>> Although Mosaic was developed on NeXT, I don't know any Unix program using
>> the Space-bar for scrolling
>
>Joachim's `(more or less)' was a rather sly joke.  `more' is the
>traditional Unix file viewing program, and `less' is a version of
>`more' with more features (less is more); thus folk would use these
>programs continually, every day.  Both use the spacebar to page down
>through a text.  This means that the association spacebar-pages-down
>is _deeply_ ingrained in Unix folk, so that it's much more natural than
>using the PgDn or arrow keys.  As a result, numerous other applications
>use this key, along with delete-pages-up, when displaying read-only text.
>xdvi and ghostview are notable examples in this context.
>
>> By the way: Even Adobe's Acrobat Reader 5
>> doesn't support the Space-bar.
>
>...most confusingly, and irritatingly.
>
>Before anyone else points it out, yes, vi doesn't use
>spacebar-pages-down, but (a) vi is well known to be unusual, and (b)
>vi users have a completely distinct set of keyboard instincts to page
>in anyway, so it hardly matters.  This is not relevant to the current
>discussion.
>
>To keep this posting on-topic, I for one would prefer to see an OS X
>application maintain an option to enable a `traditional' Unix
>interface, such as spacebar-pages-down.  The Mac is now talking to two
>different communities at the same time: trad-Mac people with rightly
>strong opinions about what constitutes a good interface, but also
>trad-Unix folk, with rather different learned expectations about
>comfortable interfaces.  The Mac really needs to address both groups'
>expectations.
>
>My own pet peeve about using TeX on OSX is that, not only does Preview not
>notice that a .pdf file has changed and so reread it, but there seems no
>way to reload a .pdf file short of closing a Preview window and issuing
>`open file.pdf' again.  Acrobat is no better.

MacGhostViewX automatically rereads both Postscript and PDF files. Leave the
document open at a desired page, process the file, and bring MacGhostViewX
to the front. The document will redisplay at the same page.

Tom

* Thomas Kiffe               *
* Department of Mathematics  *
* Texas A&M University       *