[OS X TeX] howto do smart (double) quotes with texshop

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Jun 19 10:52:22 EDT 2002

Le mercredi 19 juin 2002, à 11:04 , Patrick Gundlach a écrit :

> Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> writes:
>
> Hello Ross,
>
>>> i do not have texshop installed, but why don't you use the mac-roman
>>> double quotes (get with alt-^ and alt-2 on a german keyboard) and use
>>> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}?
>>
>> This is not a solution that I would recommend, for anything but
>> short documents that are unlikely ever to be needed again
>> (e.g. one-off letters and short notes).
>
> I do not completely agree...
>
>> [...]

I also do not completely agree. European languages are largely based on
accents, and using

\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

is the only way I know of writing accented letters directly with the
keyboard (and thus of using European hyphenation patterns).

Is there a way to avoid this, and still to write directly é è à ù ô etc.?

I thought at one point Unicode and Omega would solve this elegantly, but
I never got myself to give Omega a try (is it still alive in any case?).
And I don't consider pre- or post-processors an option (except for
Rich's and Gerben's TeX + GhostScript mode, but it's done so
transparently you don't ever have to know it's happening).

The inability to write accents is the objection I get most often when
trying to convince people from my research unit to use TeX. There are
fewer and fewer of us, people switching gradually to Microsoft Word and
now Adobe InDesign over the years. Sadly...

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.