[OS X TeX] Styles or macros for preparing posters, and how to use TeXShop for this

Thomas Schröder thomas at t-schroeder.de
Sun Jun 2 12:18:12 EDT 2002

Hi,

> Thanks, I'll try this. However there're not only logos, but also a
> border.

Well, a border should be easy in LaTeX :-)

> Originally I thought, naively, that it was possible to export all this
> from PowerPoint as a PS or PDF background for use in LaTeX; that might
> be possible, but I just don't know how to do it.

I wouldn't go this way. It is really not that difficult to get similar
effects from Office in LaTeX. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to
port our institute's letter and poster layout to LaTeX. Obviously, my
letters and posters now look at least a thousand times nicer :-)

> One problem is my version of PowerPoint is old; I'll get Office X at
> some point next week.

As long as your document still runs in it and you have a working OS 9 or
older environment, this shouldn't be a problem. Just memorize which
border and logos go where, export the logos and you're about done.

> Classic and native OS X applications definitely don't mix up so well,
> especially when fonts are involved: I more or less managed to import
> PDF files from LaTeX into Illustrator (also old) without losing fonts;
> however accents are lost, whatever I tried, and in French we use to use
> them a lot.

Well, German special letters don't work nicely, either :-(
In general, I'm a big fan of Illustrator, but when it comes to working
with exported TeX files it just plain sucks. I think, in the olden days
I used Taylor to enhance my pics but as I recall it wasn't all that
powerful. Maybe I'll give this Warmreader, I'm reading so much about
lately, a try.

> Speaking of tight schedules: my poster needs to be ready for printing
> first thing early tomorrow morning.

I don't want to make you nervous, but one major screw up in our
schedules pretty much always turned out to be the ever long printer
queue....

> Fortunately my hair are cropped quite short!

Ah, well done ;)

     Ciao, Thomas

Thomas Schröder +++ schlumpf at mac.com

"help" (no quotes) in the body.