[OS X TeX] CM-Super i-Package in preparation

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Jun 27 09:17:29 EDT 2002

I do not use CM-Super, so can people please tell me if the following
info is correct:

What does CM-Super do for the average LaTeX user? Why would I want it?

If you want to use 8-bit Computer Modern fonts (with accents and such
for many European languages other than English) you can use the EC fonts
instead of standard CM.

If you want to produce output without pixel-based fonts (but scalable),
you need to use PostScript Type1 substitutes for the standard TeX pixel
based fonts.

These PostScript Type1 substitutes are by default available (and hand
tuned) for the standard CM set but not for the EC set. CM-Super provides
the same for the EC fonts. To use them, put

	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

in the preamble of your document.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.