[OS X TeX] Hyphenation patterns in TeXShop

Martin Stokhof stokhof at hum.uva.nl
Thu Jun 13 03:08:03 EDT 2002

Here is what I remember from when I asked this question concerning Dutch.
In order to activate hyphenation patterns you have to modify the
language.dat file and rebuild the formats.
The language.dat file is located in:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
If you open it, you will see that it contains the line: %swedish
	sehyph.tex
Uncomment and save.
Then in the terminal run: fmtutil --all (you need administrator
priviliges for this). This rebuilds the formats with the new
language.dat file, pre-loading the Swedish hyphenation patterns. You
can then use them with the babel package.
Disadvantage of this procedure is that you modify the standard teTeX
tree, which means that your modified language.dat gets overwritten if
you install a new teTeX.

Martin Stokhof

"help" (no quotes) in the body.