[OS X TeX] Newbie install and font question

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Thu Mar 21 13:36:08 EST 2002

On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 03:02 , Enrico Franconi wrote:

> Completely agree. But what's the problem with "dvips -Pdf | ps2pdf"?
> In this way you have all your native pstricks macros available and you
> generate the portable, compact PDF you want to distribute.

The problem is that -Ppdf tries to embed non-type1 fonts at resolution
8000 or so on which metafont chokes. It works fine, unless bitmaps are
needed.

Secondly, but correct me if I am wrong, not all PDF-specific settings
survive this translation (what about pdf-specific stuff like
animations?).

Anyway, let's end it here. I am not advocating against using dvips + a
distiller, after all, don't forget that I do support that in my TeX
distribution, *including* the altpdftex script to make life easy on
people wanting to do that. People should use what they like.

What I will not do is support X11. My systems will remain X11-free. But
when there will be a Quartz-device available for ghostscript, I will of
course have it compiled in.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.