[OS X TeX] Re: could use some info/follow up please 2

get86 at mac.com get86 at mac.com
Fri Mar 8 00:58:48 EST 2002

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 12:17  AM, William McCallum wrote:

> On Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 08:55  PM, get86 at mac.com wrote:
>
>> yes of course you all are right!  I was mainly speaking from not
>> wanting my new OSX users to experience any problems by using Classic,
>> i.e., keep them in X as much as possible. -and you all are saying you
>> are happy with Alpha is Classic mode, correct? (not booted into 9, but
>> Classic mode).
>>
>> my follow up is:  are you Alpha users (btw, i'm referring to Alpha
>> v7.2) using also TeXShop? or what for you makes up your Mac TeX'ing
>> package?
>>

> I was a hardcore Alpha/OzTeX user, but liked the display of TeXShop
> (and was temporarily seduced by the idea of not having to boot up
> Classic). I played around with all the OS X alternatives, but kept
> coming back to TeXShop. Now that it can be configured to work with an
> external editor,

that was funny post. (they don't say that, i'm the one changing
everything bwuahaha. ;)
(i'm the mac sys guy, OSX is my sword.:)
i have 2 questions, sorry for being a pest:

about "configuring TeXShop to work with an external editor (i've been
reading about the "glory" of this... where (or simply 'how') can i find
out how to set up such a combo?

> I have been using it with Emacs running under X windows with auctex
> installed,

i set up all my X macs with XFree, et al.  should i be installing auctex?

see, they don't say that... they do work... i have to show 'em mo'
better stuff... ESPECIALLY if i want the dept to kep marching toward
OSX... (i'm on a mission from... ? ;)

thanks a lot folks.

-Ted

p.s. Richard, i was just wrapping another install -yes at this hour, my
break starts tomorrow- and oops! gotta go back and do 1.17!  :)

> but will probably go back to Alpha X when it comes out. Using Alpha
> under Classic also works well, and would work with TeXShop. The only
> thing that your professors might miss if they are picky is the ability
> to fire up TeXShop (or OzTeX running under OS X) from Classic Alpha.
> But this is a minor annoyance, since you can TeX the file from TeXShop.
> Of course, there's the guilt about abandoning OzTeX to deal with, but
> everyone has to cope with that in their own way.
>
> Anyway, all this fussing about which setup to use is merely a
> substitute for actually getting some work done. That's what you should
> really tell your professors!

"help" (no quotes) in the body.