locate (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Two questions (documentation-related))

Martin Stokhof stokhof at hum.uva.nl
Sun Mar 31 10:29:33 EST 2002

At 11:57 +0100 on 31/03/02, Enrico Franconi wrote:

>On March 31, Martin Stokhof writes:
>>  The phenomenon (Locate not being able to find files after MacJanitor
>>  having updated the database) persists, but by checking various kinds
>>  of files (I know, I should have done that before ;-) I've found that
>>  it holds only for files in my home directory, everything else can be
>>  found by Locate after MacJanitor is run.
>
>Is your home in a different volume/partition? If this is the case, you
>have to specify explicitly more than one root to search from. See
>man locate.updatedb

No, same volume, same partition. Btw, locate in the command line
behaves exactly as Locator (which isn't surprising). But then one
wonders what the "rebuild locate database" command in Locator does
that the weekly script as run by MacJanitor does not. I've contacted
the authors of Locator & MacJanitor about this and will report if I
hear from them. Thanks once more for the suggestions.

Martin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.