locate (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Two questions (documentation-related))

Martin Stokhof stokhof at hum.uva.nl
Sun Mar 31 05:12:26 EST 2002

A follow-up to my question regarding MacJanitor and Locate. First of
all, thanks to Enrico and Claus for their suggestions.
Enrico suggested that the problem might be  fink's new version of
locate. I checked and what I found was the following:
- one version of locate, in /usr/bin
- one locate.database, in /private/var/db/locate.database
- one script, called locate.updatedb, in /usr/libexec
- a file called locate.updatedb.8, in /usr/share/man/man8
So it doesn't seem to be that.
As for Claus' suggestion that the preview option of Locate might be
the culprit: I've never had that one switched on.
The phenomenon (Locate not being able to find files after MacJanitor
having updated the database) persists, but by checking various kinds
of files (I know, I should have done that before ;-) I've found that
it holds only for files in my home directory, everything else can be
found by Locate after MacJanitor is run. This suggests that the
update MacJanitor invokes ignores files in the home directory.
I had a look at /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, and it has: set
SRCHPATHS = "/" , which I guess means that all directories are
searched. (I have no expereince with shell scripts.)
I'm not quite sure what  locate.updatedb.8 is all about, but it does
seems to refer to the /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb script.

Martin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.