[OS X TeX] quartz and pdftex?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at mac.com
Mon Mar 11 12:33:08 EST 2002

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 12:16  PM, William Adams wrote:

> bdarcus asked:
>> My question is prompted by more concrete issues like: the latest pdf
>> spec includes support for transparency, but quartz does not currently.
>
> Sure it does---just look at the ``PDFCompositor.app'' demo. I think it
> cheated by rasterizing the graphics and using OpenGL though.

Let me clarify: Quartz certainly handles transparency, but it cannot
output pdf files that include transparency.  So, if I create a diagram
in OmniGraffle with drop shadows (which use transparency) and export a
pdf file, it will not look right.  Therefore, currently, I cannot use
this functionality if I want to include such a diagram in a LaTeX doc.

As for ID 2 (which CAN export pdf files with transparency), I was
creating a spiffy looking title page, which I wanted to export to PDF
for inclusion in LT.  Is this possible, or will it likely be in the
not-too-distant future...

Bruce

"help" (no quotes) in the body.