[OS X TeX] Epstopdf and the bounding box?

Bob Strain strain at cfm.brown.edu
Sat Mar 2 12:28:36 EST 2002

On 3/2/02 11:24 AM, "Piet van Oostrum" <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> BS> Hi,
> BS> I apologize if this issue has already been discussed, I just joined the
> BS> list.  I am recently attempting to incorporate self made .eps graphics
> into
> BS> my tex documents.  So I have been using the epstopdf command.  The
> following
> BS> is a typical exchange with the computer:
>
> BS> -% epstopdf plot6.eps
> BS> ==> Warning: BoundingBox not found!
>
> If there is no bounding box, it is not a proper EPS files..
>
> BS> Then the resulting pdf plot6.pdf will be a full page sized pdf when it
> BS> should be only the size of the graphic.  This makes it very hard to use.
> BS> Could anyone suggest a solution?

> You said `self made' EPS file. Does that mean you make them by hand, or
> create them with your own program?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  By 'self-made' I meant using
matlab with 'self made' data.

> Anyway, take care that the proper
> %%BoundingBox comment is added.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  I have used -hires and -exact to no avail.
I have tried eps and eps level 2.

> Otherwise epstopdf will not know what size your graphic is and can only
> revert to a full-page PDF.

Do you know if matlab 5.3 just does not make proper eps files?  Do you know
of better way to go?

Thanks,
Bob Strain

"help" (no quotes) in the body.