[OS X TeX] Slowdown in mac-emacs and PATH variable

Enrico Franconi franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 14:47:56 EST 2002

On March 18, Alistair Windsor writes:
> I had this problem with the shell in regular emacs. I worked very
> hard to achieve a workaround. The problem turned out to be with the
> prepackaged binaries. Compiling emacs from the patched source solved
> the problem.

This is what I've done as well.

> Another possible work around is to define a ~/.emacs_tcsh file which
> emacs will source whenever it tries to call tcsh. Similar problems
> occur using GNU emacs when you begin by double clicking a
> file. Starting the application directly solves this problem. The
> shell can be set directly in the .emacs.

The point is that such workaround (which make a lot of sense) does not
work for a very small fraction of the macosx around. Having an
installation base of 400+ mac-emacs in few weeks, in only 3 cases it
was necessary to act in the rude way. In these cases any
non-interactive call to tcsh will just load the system rc files, and
never the user ones.

cheers
-- e.

Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

"help" (no quotes) in the body.