[OS X TeX] mathtime & book.cls

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 20 05:20:12 EDT 2002

> On Monday, May 20, 2002, at 01:23 , Ross Moore wrote:
>
> > Maybe this is a good time to mention another font problem related
> > to the current configuration.
> >
> > This weekend I was typesetting a document which contained some images
> > having the  Math1Mono  font embedded.
> > (This font is from Wolfram Research Inc. --- used in Mathematica
> > graphics.)
> > There is a   +wolfram.map  entry, by default in  pdftex.cfg .
> >
> > The problem was that  pdfTeX  wanted to analyse and remake the font
> > subsetting, but could not find the .tfm file, so tried to call Metafont
> > to make it --- failing gracefully, but stopping.
> > (I'm using a new system and haven't fetched and installed the required
> > resources yet.)
> >
> > Simply commenting the line in pdftex.cfg fixed this:
> >
> > %map +wolfram.map
>
> Ross,
>
> What I can do is try to find out if the wolfram fonts are available at
> install time and activate the wolfram.map accordingly. But when you
> install the Wolfram fonts later, you will need to update by hand.

Yes; I understand.

> That would require for me to know where Wolfram fonts are found. Is that
> a fixed location? If not, I can only do something about this when I get
> some extensions to i-Installer done.

As yet I don't have Mathematica 4.x under Mac OS X.  It's on order.
So in a few weeks, I'll be able to tell you where the Mathematica Installer
puts them; perhaps someone else can already supply this information.

On the other hand, it makes good sense for TeX users to install a copy
into a directory named:   ..../texmf.local/fonts/type1/wolfram
or                        ..../texmf.local/fonts/ttf/wolfram

Of course the user might choose the system  texmf/  tree,
or their own  $HOME/Library/teTeX/texmf/  tree.

> With the current installer technology this will always remain a problem.
> I turn wolfram.map on by default because otherwise people using those
> fonts will have to do some command line stuff (which I want to try to
> prevent as much as possible).
>
> In other words: go off list with this one and tell me more. Maybe I can
> think of a a solution.

Off-line may not work at the moment.
Our site has been having awful email problems; the system guys
are not on top of it yet.

Cheers,

	Ross

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.