[OS X TeX] data exchange: how?

Arun Mangalam arun_mangalam at mac.com
Thu May 16 14:07:12 EDT 2002

There are two other options depending on if you have MSWord or not. If
you have MSWord:

1. use latex2rtf to convert your document to rtf, and send this rtf and
your pdf to your colleague.
- your colleague will edit it with MSWord and send it back
- merge differences between the rtf sent to the one received with a
"diff" type tool that will get differences between documents [i think
MSWord has such functionality]

2. use "detex" to get rid of TeX primitives and send that to your
colleague with your pdf
- your colleague will [hopefully] edit the text in ASCII and send it back
- use FileMerge.app [a very nice GUI Developer tool BTW] to look at /
merge the differences

Optionally send the TeX file itself as Adrian suggested. Either way, to
work quickly you need to see what has changed... Text file option is the
best, since it is fast and much less problems to send ASCII then MSWord
files thru the net.

On Thursday, May 16, 2002, at 11:57 AM, Adrian Heathcote wrote:

> I also have this problem. But if it is just a matter of your colleague
> editing and adding why not just give him the plain text source file. If
> there is very little maths in the file then it is directly
> readable---and what isn't can be guessed at. You then take back the
> file and make sure its ok for reTeXing. After all \textit{} is pretty
> easy to work out!
>
> Adrian Heathcote
>

> On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 01:38 AM, Oliver Hardt wrote:
>
>> in my department i am still in the minority as a (la)tex user.  most
>> people i work with use word, and usually i send them my work as pdf
>> and they are happy.  this time, however, it is more or less necessary
>> that my colleague is able to edit and modify the text -- it is too
>> cumbersome to do that in adobe acrobat (let's say the colleague
>> doesn't like that at all).
>>
>> therefore i am asking for the best solution to exchange a latexed
>> document with someone who does not use latex or pdf but word or
>> something similar.  any ideas?
>>
>> thanks!  olli.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.