[OS X TeX] TeXShop suggestions/questions

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Nov 20 01:38:58 EST 2002

Hi Juan

A few comments:

>  Is this possible, can TeXShop and/or Mac OS X even display DVIs?
>I've heard of an application that used DVIs, but maybe that was

TeXShop can display DVI's now.  Try the following. Put a tex file in
your home directory and call it say
test.tex .  Open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities) and type `latex
test.tex'  this will create test.dvi
amongst other things.  Drag and drop test.dvi onto TeXShop in the
dock and wait a bit and it will
open and you can look at it.

As MacOS X produces pdf for anything that appears on screen  even if
you have a dvi file it will
be a pdf file when you look at it.

>	Secondly I wanted to ask about a feature I heard long ago
>referred to as something like "Point and Go" in other apps.

In Textures this is called synchonization.  There is  also something
called srcltx which you can use.  It can be
downloaded from CTAN or comes with CMacTeX from www.kiffe.com  I have
never tried it so I  don't know if
it works with TeXShop.

>	And lastly, more than a question what I have now is a
>suggestion and it is about syntax coloring.

Yep I agree -- just the $ green not the stuff in the middle :-)

I would also really like the ability to split the editing window such
as you can do in Terminal or BBEdit. Very handy
when you are trying to remember what your bibliography looks like.

Mihcael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
School of Pure Mathematics         Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt