[OS X TeX] TeXShop suggestions/questions

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpalacios at mac.com
Wed Nov 20 01:03:04 EST 2002

	Hello Mr. Koch, I'm a regular user of the TeX on Mac OS X mailing
list and user of TeXShop. Following your request to the list for
comments/suggestions on your application I thought I could forward mine
now that you seem to be looking into them. I hope you don't mind that I
e-mail you directly and also Cc the list, but I wanted all the
subscribers to take a look at my ideas so that they can comment on them
(please, all feedback is welcomed!). First of all, before I start, I
want to congratulate and thank you for such a cool and handy app!!

	Actually what I write here, as the title says, are some suggestions
based on questions I have, so I don't really know if they are possible
at all. For starters I was wondering about the possibility of turning
TeXShop into a DVI/PDF capable application, giving the user the freedom
to choose whichever format He/She desires. What I mean to say is that
I'd like it if TeXShop could use *and display* DVIs just as well as it
handles PDFs, leaving up to the user what format to use as default.
Maybe a preference stating something like "Use DVI" would turn TeXShop
to use tex/latex thus producing DVIs and another one saying "Use PDF"
would instead turn it to use pdftex/pdflatex. Is this possible, can
TeXShop and/or Mac OS X even display DVIs? I've heard of an application
that used DVIs, but maybe that was in Mac OS 9.

	Secondly I wanted to ask about a feature I heard long ago referred
to as something like "Point and Go" in other apps. This is what I really
wish TeXShop had! What I remember about what I once read is that you
were able to click in any point of the output window to be immediately
taken back to the exact same place in the source file. For example if I
read a paragraph in the output and then decided I wanted to change some
lines, instead of going to the source file to search for the appropriate
paragraph I could just click the output on the desired place to make the
application take me to the exact same paragraph in the source file. Is
this possible at all or did I completely mis-comprehend what I read (on
this list, I think)? Has this been implemented before in other TeX
previewers? Is this exclusive to DVIs or can it be integrated into PDF
viewers? Mr. Koch, any chance this can be included in a future TeXShop
release?

	And lastly, more than a question what I have now is a suggestion
and it is about syntax coloring. Plenty here have said how they'd prefer
the $ enclosed math mode to be colored green just the same as the $
symbol itself. If I am allowed I would like to speak my mind on this
one. I don't think this would benefit the understanding of the text very
much because the subsequent coloring of the math commands would be
completely lost. For example, if I type $\left[\frac{\partial^2
()}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 ()}{\partial y^2}\right]\phi =
4\pi{}q$ and the whole thing is colored green just as the $ symbols I
would loose the colors applied to the math commands, arguments and
brackets. And I don't want that, I think the $ symbols stick out enough
to make the reader realize when math mode has been entered and closed.
Maybe syntax coloring could have some configuration allowing both
text to be syntax colored just as any other part of the text (as it
currently works), or to turn the whole enclosed text into a single color
loosing all the further coloring; the user could choose whichever is
preferred. A third option could be to keep the current working scheme
but turning the $ into a different color, given that currently they use
the same as the brackets. What does everybody think? What do *you* think
Mr. Koch?

	Well, those are my thoughts/suggestions/questions about TeXShop and
its features/capabilities. Of all I said here what I would really love
to see the most is the "Point and Go" thing, if it is even possible at
all. Thank you again for your time and devotion to such a nifty
application and thank you for the time spent listening to our requests!

	My warmest regards to all. Sincerely,...

		Juan.

P.S.: Please excuse me for sending this to you directly and also posting
to the list, I wanted to make sure you and everybody else got this
message. Bye!