[OS X TeX] Diacritic accents directly in source file

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Nov 7 05:31:41 EST 2002

Le jeudi, 7 nov 2002, à 11:02 Europe/Paris, Luis Sequeira a écrit :

> I think it is likely that if you use
>
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>
> then your file will not look well if viewed in another operating
> system but *should* typeset just fine.
>
> I cannot guarantee it, because I only use macs. I do know that it
> works the other way around: I have received files with accented
> characters that came from a windows machine and used inputenc (with
> the appropriate option for windows, I don't remember what that is).
> They looked ugly in the editor (had Ì instead of ê, etc.) but the
> typeset result was correct. That is how things ought to work too, but
> hey, this is a mac :-).

I thought about two possible solutions, but I don't really have the
time to test them (since the HP workstations where I have an account
and the Mac I am using are in two different buildings of my research
institute):

- If you do file transfers with Fetch, it has an option "Iso
translation" which should perform all the necessary translations.

- In TextEdit or TeXShop you can specify the encoding to use, Iso Latin
for Windows and Mac OS Roman for Mac. This cannot though convert
already existing accented letters in your file, you need to specify the
encoding before typing them. In this respect TextEdit is more
sophisticated than TeXShop, since you can specify two different
encodings, one for opening files and the other for saving them.

If only Unicode could soon become the universal standard it's aimed at.

Bruno Voisin