[OS X TeX] BBEdit and TeXShop

John Johnson johajohn at indiana.edu
Sun Nov 10 11:18:38 EST 2002

On Saturday, Nov 9, 2002, at 20:00 America/Indianapolis, TeX on Mac OS
X Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] TeXShop 1.21 slow typing --> BBEdit TeXTools
> issue
> From: "Jeff Collins" <vze22kt4 at verizon.net>
> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:39:36 -0500
>
>> I did see the glacier too ... and I am now using BBEdit.
>>
>> By the way, those of you who use BBEdit TeX Tools to call your tex
>> compiler
>> (and  bibtex, pdf viewer etc.), I have a naive question. When I choose
> any of
>> the command, I get a screen prompt "This operation can't be undone ...
> do you
>> want to continue" and the default choice is "No" so I have to move my
>> mouse and
>> click Yes. Also, when the task is completed, you get another dialog
>> box
> where
>> you have to click OK. Is there a way to get rid of these features?
>
> Sorry not to answer directly (I don't know if there's a way to alter
> the
> TeX Tools). The way I have worked this out is to configure TeXShop to
> work with an external editor (available on the prefs pane).  Then you
> need only switch from BBEdit to TeXShop (cmd-tab) and press the
> shortcut
> key combination to typeset the document (e.g., cmd-shift-L for LaTeX,
> cmd-shift-T for TeX, etc.).  No mousing involved.

I must be missing something obvious: I've tried to set BBEdit as my
external editor, but it doesn't work. I looked through the TeXShop help
file, but the section on external editors was unenlightening. The above
sequence of commands  accomplishes nothing on my machine. I'm running
OS X 10.2.1, TeXShop 1.20, and BBEdit 6.5.3 on a Pismo (PB G3 FW).

Later,

John
johajohn at indiana.edu