[OS X TeX] Tex4ht question in TeXShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 13 16:05:07 EST 2002

> I managed to get get TeX4ht to work (sort of), but all the math that it
> is supposed to render as pictures either doesn't get produced or at any
> rate can't be found when the file is 'TeXed into dvi in TeXShop.  I get
> hundreds of errors like these in the log:
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Could not find
> figure file t4ht at + ; continuing
                    ^^^^^^
 this looks like your original file names/paths contained the ~ character,
which has been interpreted as a non-breaking space for HTML.
That's clearly not correct for this context.

> and
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Could not find
> figure file t4ht; continuing
>
> Otherwise the resulting html code using default tex4ht (i.e.,
> usepackage[]{tex4ht}) is quite good.
>
> Is it a path problem or what?

Use of special characters in filenames will always cause problems
in TeX, especially when the filename is to be passed as an argument
to other macros -- i.e. pretty much always.

TeX needs to be told *before* reading the filename, to *not* treat
the special characters as it would do during normal text input.

The url package has a command \urldef which helps to do this.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore