[OS X TeX] Making an Image Stay In Place

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Nov 21 11:42:23 EST 2002

Le jeudi, 21 nov 2002, à 17:01 Europe/Paris, Bob Kerstetter a écrit :

> I am taking the simple way out and doing something like this:
>
> \begin{center}
> \includegraphics[options]{GraphicName}
> \end{center}
>
> Everything stays inline, or so it appears.
>
> It works for what I need today. "Figure" was definitely moving things
> around. Will have to learn how to use that tomorrow. :)

I'm not sure that I understand what you wish. If that's making a figure
appear in the typeset output exactly at the same place that it was
included in the tex input file, there's the package "float" which adds
to the normal location parameters [h], [b] and [t] of the figure
environment a new placement parameter [H], doing exactly that.

It's included in teTeX at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc/float.sty, but the
documentation is missing. You can get it on CTAN in
tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/float/, by LaTeXing
float.dtx.

It's indeed mentioned in chapter 6 of the LaTeX Companion. The problem
with the Companion is that it's largely outdated (at least the 1994
printing that I own). For example ...

> Is there someway to wrap text around a graphic in LaTeX? ConTeXt does
> that, but ConTeXt is more than I can handle on the daily basis right
> now.

the Companion mentions two packages "floatfig" and "wrapfig" for doing
this, but they do not seem to exist anymore. In teTeX there is another
package /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc/floatflt.sty,
documented in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/latex/floatflt/, which
apparently has taken over the "floatfig" functionality.

Godd luck!

Bruno Voisin