[OS X TeX] Underbracket woes

Jeff Sherman fatllama at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 23 20:23:49 EDT 2002

Greetings all,
I'm trying to create brackets that connect terms in an equation much
like \underbrace, but straight instead of curly.  They should also be
nestable, so I could connect two inner terms while connection two outer
terms with a bigger bracket. (Physicists, I'm trying to make the
contraction operator used in quantum field theory, see Peskin &
Schroeder p. 89 for an example though they use overbrackets, which are
fine too).

Such a device is defined at
http://www.lyx.org/help/underbracket/bracket.php3 (and for brevity I
won't paste it here) but when I try something simple, like
\underbracket{AB}, I get the error message:

! Use of \@ doesn't match its definition.
\underbracket ->\@i
                    fnextchar [ {\@underbracket}{\@underbracket
[\@brackethei...
l.903 \underbracket
                    {AB}

I'm nowhere near competent enough in pure TeX to understand or fix the
problem, and I'm hoping someone wouldn't mind the, erm, uh, challenge.
Alternatively, is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?  The
aforementioned textbook was clearly done in TeX, so there must be a way
-- perhaps I should bother the authors!  =:-)

Thanks,
-Jeff Sherman