[OS X TeX] What is Copy and Paste in OS X?

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Wed Oct 16 08:22:43 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002, at 21:32 US/Central, Keith M. Chugg wrote:

> This is a little off-topic, but why doesn't copy-n-paste between
> applications work the way it "should" in OSX?  Example, draw a diagram
> in Omnigraffle, copy it and paste it into a Word document. When you
> view/print this, the diagram is fuzzy as if you clipped it out of a
> pdf document using Acrobat reader.

Since we're off topic anyway, Word does not work with anything else
well, or so it appears. No services. No cut and paste. No useful HTML
export. 31-character filename limits. Excessive resource eating. Poor
behavior in its memory space.  But I deal with some marketplace
realities that force the use of Word.

When going from OmniGraffle to Word, I export as PDF and then import
the PDF image through Word's image include function. It seems to size a
little better that way. Before sending the Word doc to my customer, I
copy it via samba connection to a PC to strip off the resource fork
then mail it on. What the customer receives is a Word doc with meta
images.

Back on topic, the reason I am learning TeX-ish things is to replace
Word as much as possible. (The same goes for replacing InDesign.) Since
my customers do no editing, I am weaning them off Word docs and on to
PDFs. I will probably never be able to just trash Word, but am having
to use it less all of the time.