[OS X TeX] Re: [Fink-users] MANPATH

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 4 07:23:12 EDT 2002

Juan Fal wrote:
>     New Jaguar scheme of access man pages differs from the previous
>and collides with it!
>
>the MANPATH environment variable should not be set at all since now
>man finds the pages based in "manpath" and /etc/manpath.conf
>settings.

It is clear that fink has to do something about this, but it is not
immediately clear what. IIUC the new scheme for the manpath
configuration allows only the one config file /etc/manpath.conf.

Modifying this would be against fink's philosophy, and for good
reasons. As long as it is not possible to teach manpath to use
another config file, for example in /sw/etc/, fink needs to set
MANPATH. It just should set it by using `manpath -q` as one of the
components. This has to be done after teh PATH variable is set.

AFAICT, the only problem so far is with Gerben Wierda's tetex package
in /usr/local, and this problem could be solved by modifying fink's
system-tetex package so that it sets this MANPATH component in its
shell startup script in /sw/etc/profile.d/

--
Martin