[OS X TeX] Books?

Julien Diard Julien.Diard at imag.fr
Thu Sep 5 03:46:58 EDT 2002

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Books?
> From: <ccr-mactex at creutzig.de>
> Date: 04 Sep 2002 17:12:46 +0200
>
> Andreas Gschwendtner <andreas_gschwendtner at yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> If you want to go a little deeper, Kopka's book is excellent. If you
>
> Last time I checked (which admittedly is a while ago), Kopka still
> recommended clumsy outdated packages like bm2font, manipulating
> \textwidth et al. directly (horrors!)

Ooops.

Sorry for the newbie question, but it appears my current document is
horrible =)

What would you recommend instead of using \textwidth? Tu be more precise,
I'm currently writing my PhD thesis, in french, A4 paper, and the default
width seems too small to me. So I just wanted to enlarge the thing a bit,
and I found this \textwidth command in a colleague's thesis. Any advice?

While I'm at it, another issue I face is the headings content. Using the
default contents, prints the chapter number and title on even pages, and the
current section title on odd pages. Some of these titles are too long, and
go beyong the pages borders, yuck... I know a way to prevent this, using the
optional arguments to the section and chapter commands, but the problem is,
I would like to keep the full titles in the table of contents. Any way to
separate these two things (the title in the page headers and in the table of
contents)? I guess the messy answer is learn tex and redefine some page
header computation macro, but, to be honest, I'd prefer something simpler...
Any ideas?

Thanks all again for your very precious help,
Cheers

Julien

Julien DIARD - PhD student

projet SHARP - laboratoire GRAVIR/IMAG -  UR INRIA Rhône-Alpes
  ZIRST - 655 avenue de l'Europe - 38330 Montbonnot Saint Martin
  Tel : (33) 4.76.61.54.36 - Fax : (33) 4.76.61.52.10
http://www.inrialpes.fr/sharp/people/diard/