[OS X TeX] Books?

Maarten Sneep sneep at nat.vu.nl
Thu Sep 5 03:54:42 EDT 2002

On 05-Sep-02 Julien Diard wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Books?
>> From: <ccr-mactex at creutzig.de>
>> Date: 04 Sep 2002 17:12:46 +0200
>>
>> Andreas Gschwendtner <andreas_gschwendtner at yahoo.de> writes:
>>
>>> If you want to go a little deeper, Kopka's book is excellent. If you
>>
>> Last time I checked (which admittedly is a while ago), Kopka still
>> recommended clumsy outdated packages like bm2font, manipulating
>> \textwidth et al. directly (horrors!)
>
> Ooops.
>
> Sorry for the newbie question, but it appears my current document is
> horrible =)
>
> What would you recommend instead of using \textwidth? Tu be more precise,
> I'm currently writing my PhD thesis, in french, A4 paper, and the default
> width seems too small to me. So I just wanted to enlarge the thing a bit,
> and I found this \textwidth command in a colleague's thesis. Any advice?

Have a look at the geometry package. For headers and footers, look at fancyhdr

I would reccommend to get a copy of the LaTeX Companion. It will answer most of
your questions regarding layout in LaTeX. At the very least read the manual of
the fancyhdr package, it has a lot of good info.

I would also ask you to reconsider increasing the textwidth. Some research has
shown that the optimum line-length for reading speed is about 60 - 80
characters. In most fonts that is awfully narrow.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep