[OS X TeX] LaTeX Panel in TeXShop

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Sun Sep 8 14:35:26 EDT 2002

While I personally find that there is little to improve in TexShop
itself, I would hope to see some improvements to the LaTeX panel
included in TeXShop - and I would hope that someone who knows the
developer who created it will forward this Email :-)

I think it is great that the LaTeX panel is included in TeXShop,
because it is a good complement to the otherwise very simple interface
of TeXShop. I would usually just manually write and code everything,
and I love the simplicity of TeXShop for doing this (and I personally
prefer it to iTeXMac for this reason). But sometimes it is very
convenient to have the palette to add something which you do not know
the syntax for, or simply to "touch up" the text.

In my opinion, the LaTeX panel could see some refinements.

1) The interface. I think it just consumes to much screen space - it is
too broad. I think the space that the individual items consume should
be reduced, items should be rearranged to allow for a narrower window,
and the tabbed interface should be replaced in this context. An
interface with collapsable sections instead of the tabs would be more
appropriate in my opinion.

The inspector floating window in the 10.2 Finder (Cmd-Opt-I), and the
formatting palette in MS Word (excuse me for this choice of an example
- it is just one thing that MS got right in my opinion :-) are good
examples. If you do not know exactly, what I am talking about, see
<http://homepage.mac.com/hfrauenrath/images/palettes.jpg> for
screenshots.

It should remember the state of collapsed/expanded sections, when you
close it (this is another detail in the LaTeX panel I do not like -
when you close and reopen it, it switches to the default tabs), and it
should stick to the screen edges.

2) I would hope to see a more comprehensive list of insertable items
(along the lines of the TeX/LaTeX menus in Alpha). I somehow seem to
remember that you could add items to the panel, though. If this is
correct, maybe someone could point me to where I can find out how to do
this.

Best regards
Holger

--