[OS X TeX] OT: hyperref.sty, graphics.sty, pdfTeX and dvips

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 2 01:44:53 EST 2004

I've just noticed an example of bad interaction of the hyperref and
graphics packages when used with pdfTeX, which is resolved by using
dvips + ps2pdf instead, and I'm wondering whether it's well-known.

Apparently, when combining a box-manipulation command from the graphics
package, like \scalebox, with a link-creating command from the hyperref
package, like \href, the page area associated with the link is the one
defined before the box manipulation, in pdfTeX, whereas with dvips it
is as should be, namely the page area after the box manipulation.

For example suppose you write
\scalebox{2}{\href{http://www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr}{LEGI}}. You will get
the word "LEGI" double-sized; with dvips + ps2pdf all this word will
behave as a hyperlink, whereas with pdfTeX only the part of this word
corresponding to normal size (say the lower half of the double-sized
letters "LE") will behave as a hyperlink.

I noticed this in a slightly more complicated example in which a
landscape table, produced by the sidewaystable environment of the
rotating package, contains hyperlink entries such as
\url{http://www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr/anglais_legi/index.htm} where \url is
defined by the hyperref package, but basically it's reducible to the
above "bug".

Is this a well-known bug?

Bruno Voisin