[OS X TeX] OT: hyperref.sty, graphics.sty, pdfTeX and dvips

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 2 20:17:13 EST 2004

On 03/04/2004, at 10:03 AM, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 4/2/04 5:22 PM, "Ross Moore" <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>  \setbox0=\hbox{\scalebox{2}{LEGI}}
>>  But this workaround: \href{http://www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr}{\box0}
>>  works just fine, and is indeed logically more correct.
>
> Howdy,
>
> Or, \href{http://www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr}{\scalebox{2}{LEGI}}.
>
> But I think there was a problem in a sideways table too.

Yes, you're right. Bruno said this too.
It applies to general geometric transformations:
   rotations, reflections, scalings, etc.

The problem is that in PDF the "active rectangle" is
effectively in an overlay across the picture of the page.
The coordinates for a rectangle must be calculated from
information supplied via high-level markup in the case
of pdfTeX; whereas Ghostscript or Distiller would do the
appropriate calculations at a much lower level, while
building the actual picture of the page.

My guess is that the PostScript CTM (current transfer
matrix) plays a very important role here. I don't know
what are the corresponding internal structures in pdfTeX,
and whether it is easy to adapt them to do a better job
for this kind of thing.

Just some thoughts.

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114