[OS X TeX] LaTeX -> Word?

Thomas Schröder hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Tue Apr 20 12:35:13 EDT 2004

Am 20.04.2004 um 16:26 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Le 20 avr. 04, à 15:32, Thomas Schröder a écrit :
>
>> What I want is a way to convert my LaTeX files into Word files which
>> should work autamatically for the most part.
>
> I think there just isn't any such thing.

I was hoping there was. I've been hearing so many good things about the
tex4ht-OpenOffice.org-route but somehow it's not working for me. I was
hoping someone one this list would have some experience with this but I
guess nobody really has because even Google doesn't really offer much
help except statements like "with texh4t you can translate .tex files
to OpenOffice.org and from there to Word". Has anybody ever tried this
successfully?

> If you really need to produce Word output, with no compromise on the
> quality of this output (as far as Word allows quality, that is) and no
> extensive manual editing, then you'd be better off using Word from the
> beginning, probably.

I prefer LaTeX because it's great, but I also live in the real world
where I have to exchange stuff with other people and as was mentioned
before on this list, more and more scientific journals are switching to
Word only. But if I could continue writing my stuff in LaTeX and be
able to export parts of my stuff as needed to Word then this would
really be great. That way I could keep maintaining a single code base
and still pass documents on when needed. And avoid Word :-)

And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

> Following Will's post, I went to the TtM page and tried the online
> conversion with a plain TeX excerpt of mine (less than 2000
> characters, as required). Converting to XML and viewing the result in
> Mozilla gives better-looking output that I would have expected. The
> resulting XML code is appended at the end of this message (save it as
> a .xml file and open it with Mozilla).

This looks really nice in Mozilla and at least from a quick comparison
between TeX output and Mozilla I couldn't find any mistakes. Neat.

> However, that's just plain TeX, not LaTeX, and that doesn't solve the
> LaTeX -> Word issue, anyway.

I suppose so.

> I tried opening both .html and .xml files created by TtM in both Word
> and OpenOffice, with limited success. Word can read bot HTML and XML
> and interprets its content, OpenOffice interprets the HTML and reads
> the XML as ASCII text, but none of them seems to interpret the
> formulae as formulae.

Same here.

	Bye, Thomas