[OS X TeX] Lost fonts in TexShop -- help!

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 21 04:46:32 EDT 2004

Le 21 avr. 04, à 10:07, Hans van Maanen a écrit :

> I think I've done something stupid. Everything was fine, until I
> started to rearrange my fonts).

What do you mean by this? Which fonts, where were they before, and
where are they now?

> What do I do to get my fonts back? Where do I find them, and where do
> I put them?

The fonts used by TeXShop and i-Installer's teTeX-TeXLive live inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/,
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/,
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/ and (assuming you created this
directory) ~/Library/texmf/fonts/, as sets of various files in various
formats. The CM fonts themselves live inside
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/.

If you don't know Unix, it's dubious that you have changed these
directories. Moreover, they are owned by root which means as a normal
user you shouldn't be able to modify them.

Are you referring to the various CM fonts you may have, as a former
Classic user, inside your Classic font folder /System Folder/Fonts/, in
the form of FFIL screen font suitcases and LWFN printer font files?
These were used by Textures and OzTeX, and the various pre-OS X Mac TeX
software, but they are not used by TeXShop.

The fonts inside the OS X font folders /System/Library/Fonts/,
/Library/Fonts/ and ~/Library/Fonts/ are not used by TeXShop either,
unless you installed the experimental XeTeX and started to play with
it. Did you do this?

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin