[OS X TeX] tex4ht.sty not found

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Apr 28 00:58:47 EDT 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 22:48, Jon Hanson wrote:

> I just tried to run htlatex for the first time and came across an
> error. Specifically, I typed in terminal:
>
> htlatex filename.tex "html,4,1"
>
> I get back the error message: "! LaTeX Error: File `tex4ht.sty' not
> found."
>
> Looking back at the digests, I noted an exchange over several days in
> early April 2003 on this subject.  The upshot appeared to be, first,
> that at the time there was a separate tex4ht.sty package on the
> i-Installer.  Second, there were configuration issues having to do
> with a tex4ht.env file. Things appear to have changed with respect the
> first of these points; not sure about the second.
>
> The machine I am on is new, so I am using the i-packages from just a
> few days ago.  I installed TeX, Ghostscript 8, CM Super, ConTeXt
> updater, Freetype2, libwmv and inconv conversion support (one of these
> wouldn't install because of dependency issues -- a version already on
> the system), and ImageMagick.  Perhaps I missed a crucial package?
>
> TeX4ht-related files seem to be installed.  I found them at
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex4ht/.
>
> I search CTAN for tex4ht.sty.  Not there.  Where can I find it?

The package you have tried to install that complains is not needed on
Panther.

tex4ht.sty should be here:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/tex4ht/tex4ht.sty after
a succesful installation of TeX. The stuff you found comes with the
binaries (too long a astory to explain). So, you need to open your TeX
i-Package again, choose expert mode and when presented with the choice
list select TeX4ht to be installed (just TeX4ht will do). Then go
ahead.

Another reason (and that was last time I saw a support question like
this) was that there was another TeX on the system (fink's) which
interfered with command line execution. But first make sure you have
actually installed TeX4ht.