[OS X TeX] Using fonts from Word in LaTeX

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Tue Aug 31 03:32:31 EDT 2004

On 31 Aug 2004, at 3:00 PM, Ian Barnes wrote:

> I found a file called Garamond in /Applications/Microsoft Office
> 2004/Office/Fonts. The Finder says this is a "Font Suitcase". The icon
> has "FFIL" on it and it says "Version: 2.35 Microsoft Typography".
>
> What type of font is this, and how can I convert/extract it for use in
> LaTeX?

Google tells me it's a TrueType font bundled up in some manner probably
with display bitmaps.

Try out the usual suspects (fondu or fontforge - fondu is easier but
might not be able to do it; fontforge almost definitely can) to convert
it to a .ttf file, then use ttf2tex to install it.

This will only work with pdfTeX. (This is not a limitation, since you
can tell pdfTeX to work in what I call "old-fashioned" mode, which
accepts .eps figures and outputs .dvi .)

It requires a bit of poking around, and once you've done it, the steps
will seem simple enough. But fonts can be hard sometimes...

Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>