[OS X TeX] On E.F.'s Enhanced Carbon Emacs

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Tue Dec 14 20:24:02 EST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 6:56 PM, Piero D'Ancona wrote:

> Hi all,
> I guess several of us use Enrico Franconi's Enhanced Carbon Emacs,
> and that's why I am cross-posting. Enrico received
> some not totally polite criticism on the list (e.g., comparing his
> installer to
> a trojan...) which he really did not deserve. So he became bitter and
> decided to quit enhancing, after the next release. Being one of the
> many silent users of his work, I felt I should at least say thank you.
> What do you think?
> Anyway, that's the exchange:

I agree completely. Enrico, along with other authors (Jerome, Gerben,
Richard, Dave...), don't get nearly enough credit for the effort that
they put in. Any disagreements with respect to how their distributions
install or run should be cast only in the most positive and
constructive sense. I've tried every code listed on the MacTeX site (I
feel it's a responsibility) and use more than half regularly (Yes, I
actually chose applications by mood). I try to repay them in some small
way by maintaining the web site, but I do very little compared to the
sacrifices of time our software authors make for all of our benefit. I
encourage each of them to disregard the occasional negative comments
that they may receive from jaded individuals who lack the understanding
to realize the potential ramifications of their words. These
ramifications are usually greatest for those not involved in the
conversation. The only reward many of our authors ever receive are our
kind words. The damage done by careless words can be immeasurable when
an author withdraws from the community. I'm very thankful for Enrico's
service to myself and the community, and hope that he will reconsider,
while completely understanding how he very well may need to step away.
I have not been far from it myself at times.

Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>